1. Lion’s Head
- How to get there – The easiest way to get there is to park your car as close as possible to the Lion’s Head Parking Lot. From there it will take you around 1,5 hour to reach the top depending on your fitness level.
- When to go – Start your hike about 2 hours before sunset. It will be crowded at the top no matter what but people are nice and just take turns to take their photos. These were taken with a view over Camps Bay.
2. Diving Board
- How to get there – Let me start by saying, this photo doesn’t come easy and includes a lot of hiking. You start your hike in Camps Bay with the Kasteelpoort trail. From here it takes around 1,5 hour to reach the diving board. Once you reach the top you have to follow the pathway to the right to get to the exact location.
- When to go – Start your hike early in the morning, this way the side where you’re hiking up Table Mountain will still be covered in shade.
3. Devil’s Peak
- How to get there – Park your car near the Devil’s Peak gate and start your hike up from here. It will take around 1 hour to reach the top.
- When to go – We did this hike during the middle of the day and it was pretty fine. There are only a few tough parts of climbing but the rest is pretty easy.
4. Boulder’s Beach
- How to get there – You can reach Boulder’s Beach the easiest by car. There is a pretty big parking lot at the entrance. When you first arrive on the beach you will be disappointed but at the end you will see a few large rocks where you can crawl through and over to reach a part without almost any people and a whole lot of penguins.
- When to go – This place is the least busy in the evening. Try to go one hour before closing time and make sure to check online when this is cause it depends on the season.
- How to get there – Muizenberg Beach is only 30 minutes driving from the centre of Cape Town. Once parked, you’ll find these cute little coloured houses all across the beach.
- When to go – We arrived pretty late and the beach was packed so I would make sure to arrive early in the morning.
6. Chapman’s Peak
- How to get there – The Chapman’s Peak drive is one of the most beautiful out there. The lookout point is very easy to be found. Once there you will get the best view actually from across the railing. No need to worry, the way down is pretty safe. There are little rock-shaped stairs that if you follow them to the left will lead you to a gorgeous cave that lends itself perfectly to enjoy a glass of wine during sunset. Or you walk down even more and get the most spectacular views over the cliffs.
- When to go – Make sure to be here for sunset.
7. Camps Bay
- How to get there – If you’re staying in Cape Town you can easily get there by Uber or by car. Camps Bay beach offers the most stunning view over the twelve apostels of Cape Town.
- When to go – Visit this place during sunrise or sunset.
8. Maiden’s Cove
- How to get there – Only a short distance away from Camps Bay and by far my absolute favourite spot in Cape Town to watch the sunset. There is a big parking lot so no need to stress about finding a parking space at Camps Bay.
- When to go – Definitely visit this place during sunset!
9. Clifton Beach
- How to get there – Clifton Beach is right next to Camps Bay Beach.
- When to go – It’s the perfect place to enjoy sunset.
- How to get there – Bo-Kaap tends to get pretty busy so the easiest way is definitely to get an Uber.
- When to go – This place tends to get very busy during the day so try to be there early morning. If not possible within your schedule, you’ll still be able to get some pretty cool photos.
- How to get there – You can either include Kirstenbosch into your hike with Table Mountain or go on a different day by car and park on Klaasens Road. This is not the main entrance but it allows you to enter at 7am instead of 8am!
- When to go – Be there at 7am to have the garden all to yourself.
12. Cape Point
- How to get there – The best way to get here is to drive yourself. Cape point is part of a Sanpark (South Africa National Park), so you will have to pay a small fee to enter. Put this location into your GPS to arrive at the exact spot!
- When to go – We were there in the middle of the day and it was still possible to take nice photos although I do think this place is even more stunning during sunset.
13. De Kelders
- How to get there – De Kelders are a little beach town on the road to L’Agulhas. This exact location is on your way down to the Klipgat caves.
- When to go – Make sure to be there before 7pm since this spot is part of a National Park and closes at this time.
14. Noordhoek Beach
- How to get there – One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and right behind Chapman’s Peak if you’re driving from Cape Town. You can park your car here and walk to the beach.
- When to go – This beach is the perfect backdrop for sunset.
15. Franschhoek Drive
- How to get there – Follow the R45 to the Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve, you will be treated to the most spectacular mountain views and one hell of a drive.
- When to go – You can visit this place during any time of day, just fifure out when it works best in your itinerary.
- How to get there – You can find this cute spot when you’re driving from Franschhoek to Stellenbosch. There is some space on the side of the road where you can park. Just be careful with the ongoing traffic when you get out of the car.
- When to go – It’s the perfect stop in between visiting some wineries.
- How to get there – Babylonstoren is located in the middle of the wine region. You can either get there by car or take the Fraschhoek hop-on hop-off tram. My suggestion is to book your tour with “Not in the Guide Books” and enjoy a full day to explore this area including a tour of the wine cellars and a lunch.
Read all about my visit at Babylonstoren here
- When to go – You will want a full day to explore this place since it’s absolutely stunning!
- How to get there – Boschendal is actually pretty close to Babylonstoren and is also open later than 5pm (except for the wine tasting).
- When to go – Go in the late afternoon (around 4pm) to enjoy a wine tasting and afterwards have the gardens almost to yourself.
19. Haute Cabriere
- How to get there – Haute Cabriere is located in Franschhoek and offers a stunning view over the valley. When visiting try to get a table with Courtney cause she is the absolute best!
- When to visit – Haute Cabriere offers wine tastings from 9am to 5pm.
20. Bakoven Beach
- How to get there – Bakoven Beach is located close to Camps Bay and offers a stunning view of Lion’s Head.
- When to go – Combine this place with one of the other beaches or Maiden’s Cove for sunset?