When planning your trip to India not only the itinerary is important but also what to pack as a woman and the items you can’t forget to bring with you!
When traveling to a religious country such as India where you’ll visit an abundance of temples it’s important to dress accordingly! And no need to worry, all of the options I’ll give you below are top notch and the perfect mix of cheap versus expensive.
You’ll be able to roam the streets of Jaipur without getting nasty looks and you’ll feel fabulous while doing so!
IF YOU’RE PLANNING A TRIP TO RAJASTHAN YOU’LL WANT TO CHECK MY 2 WEEKS RAJASTHAN ITINERARY INCLUDING 31 OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACES TO VISIT IN THIS STATE.
Traveling to India – A Woman’s Packing Guide
What to wear as a woman’s tourist in India is one of those questions that gets googled a lot. When packing for a trip to India maje sure to leave your spaghetti straps, short shorts and miniskirts at home. India is a conservative country where both men and women were loose fitting clothes that covers both the shoulders and the legs.
If you want to have the best time during your trip in India you have to keep the above in mind, especially as a female tourist and you don’t want to attract unwanted attention. There’s nothing more nerve wrecking or irritating than being cat called on the street and it can really put you off on visiting a country ever again.
Now, no need to worry! You don’t need to buy an entire new wardrobe for your upcoming trip! A couple of linen T-shirts, loose pants and dresses will be perfect! I’ve listed some of my favourite items below that I feel comfortable in when traveling to a more conservative country
- Bohemian Maxi Dress – Boho dresses usually have that flowy look and aren’t too form fitting. Not to mention that India is a very colourful country so you can get a little crazy when it comes to prints!
- Maxi Skirts – I love combining maxi skirts with a simple white linen shirt and the one thing you can show off in India is your midriff so why not combine a maxi skirt with a matching crop top?
- Turban – I love bringing a beautiful headband or turban with me for those moments where I need to cover my hair.
But of course your trip in India won’t just be about visiting temples and discovering the local culture. There will be moments where you’re just relaxing by the pool, sipping on a cocktail or running to the next buffet!
For walking around you’ll definitely won’t need high heels. All you need is a pair of sandals and a good pair of sneakers cause you will be walking a lot! And don’t forget to bring some cute sunglasses with you cause believe me you will need them! When the sun hits some of these fortresses the walls actually become blinding!
Some Do’s & Don’ts for dressing in India
- DON’T – Wear leggings if your shirt isn’t covering your bum. It’s mostly the legs that are covered and if you show too much curves or leg you’ll get catcalled by men for sure and you also might receive some nasty looks from women.
- DO – Buy traditional clothing at a local shop in Jaipur. I got so many compliments while walking around in my Rajasthani dresses and honestly, I felt like a princess and they’re still hanging in my closet as a beautiful memory of an amazing trip!
- DON’T – Be afraid to wear a shirt with an open back. Women in India often show parts of their backs when they’re wearing a sari so you’ll fit right in.
- DO – Wear flowy midi skirts and dresses. Just make sure they’re not pencil skirts and that they fall below the knee.
- DON’T – Show too much cleavage. A regular V-neck shirt is totally fine just make sure you’re not flashing half of your boobs while walking on the street cause you will attract unwanted attention for sure.
- DO – Layer on the jewellery and gold and gemstones are your new best friend! Here it doesn’t matter if you’re combining a big necklace with even bigger earrings cause the bigger the better! It’s time to bring out those statement necklaces! When it comes to costume jewellery one of my go to brands is Kenneth Jay Lane! All of their pieces look regal without the crazy expensive price tag!
- DO – Bring a scarf with you. It’s not just perfect for layering during a colder evening but it’s also ideal for covering up just a little bit when you’re wearing a tank top.
Beauty Essentials to pack for your trip to India
- Hydrating shampoo and hair mask – I swear by the products from Moroccan Oil. They smell absolutely amazing and you only need a little bit of shampoo to achieve maximum result!
- Texture Powder – It will add extra volume to your hair and comes in a small package! It’s one of the best products I ever bought for my hair!
- Hairbrush and comb: believe me you’ll want to put these in your bag when you’re travelling around with a Tuk Tuk. Either that or looking like you just performed in The Lion King.
- Hand Sanitizer – Make sure it’s travelsize so you can take it with you in your handbag
- Facial wipes: I find these way more convenient to travel with instead of a bottle or tube of lotion. On a side note, they also come in handy for wiping of your sweat during the day :p
- CC-cream with SPF in it – I don’t like to wear heavy make up especially in this heat I prefer to let my skin breath a little.
- Baby powder – My thighs always get burned when I have to walk a lot and especially in this heat it can be very tricky and actually ruin your day. A little baby powder helps a lot and will take care of the pain. Also baby powder is the perfect replacement for dry shampoo for blondes!
- Sunscreen and after sun will be your best friend for a day of sun bathing here.
Get ready for your trip to India
I wrote a ton of guides about my first trip to India where I visited the most beautiful cities and sites in Rajasthan! Below you can find all of them so you can plan the perfect trip for yourself!
- TAJ MAHAL TRAVEL GUIDE – THE PERFECT DAY TRIP FROM DELHI
- JAIPUR TRAVEL GUIDE – UNIQUE THINGS TO DO IN THE PINK CITY
- JODHPUR TRAVEL GUIDE – UNIQUE THINGS TO DO IN THE BLUE CITY
- CHITTORGARH FORT TRAVEL GUIDE – VISIT THE LARGEST FORT IN INDIA
- JAISALMER TRAVEL GUIDE – UNIQUE THINGS TO DO IN THE GOLDEN CITY
- THE BEST 5 STAR LUXURY HOTELS IN RAJASTHAN
- THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FORTS & PALACES IN RAJASTHAN