You’ve booked your flights to this beautiful island and you’re wondering where to stay on Madeira? First of all let me say how excited I am for you! I can assure you that you’ll have the trip of a lifetime! Secondly, I am here to help!
When planning your holiday to Madeira things can become pretty confusing rather fast. The following questions will probably pop up into your head:
- In which city should I book a hotel?
- How will I get around on the island and visit all of these amazing places?
- Do I just stay in one city or is it better to switch hotels after a couple of days?
Now, let me first start by saying that I personally prefer not to switch hotels, simply because you lose valuable time checking out and checking into a second hotel. When I go on a road trip I like my holiday to be as efficient as possible and rather spend that extra time enjoying nature.
I chose Funchal as a base for my road trip for several reasons:
- Funchal is close to the airport which was perfect cause our flight back home was scheduled at 5am.
- This side of the island tends to always be sunny and warmer than the Northern part of the island. Since me and my mom traveled from Belgium and had seen nothing but rain and cold during the previous months, we were more than happy to relax outside on a terrace. We may or may not have indulged in a little too many bottles of wine on said terraces as well 😉
- Funchal is pretty much located in the center of all the main viewpoints on Madeira. We never had to drive more than 1,5 hour to reach our destination.
Where to stay on Madeira – Sé Boutique Hotel
There are a lot of all inclusive hotels on the island but those aren’t really my thing. I always prefer a smaller boutique hotel cause to me it always has more charm. Sé Boutique Hotel is located 5 minutes walking from the sea and only 10 minutes away from a parking lot. Trying to park your car in the center of Funchal can be quite a hassle otherwise.
Highlights of Sé Boutique Hotel
- The hotel has a beautiful roof top bar which offers an amazing view over the city. Especially during sunset, when Funchal turns on it’s lights it’s a sight to behold.
- The main lobby is beautifully decorated. Every time I walked in I got instant happy vibes.
- Their restaurant O Calhau is located right around the corner. The food here was so delicious that we went back every single evening!
- Their is a champagne and lobster bar inside the hotel. I can assure you that you’ll want to reward yourself after a couple of the hikes you’ll be doing on the island.
- Hotel staff were incredibly friendly! They always tried to help me with any question that I had and even helped me to look up more places to visit on the island.
Rooms at Sé Boutique Hotel
- In contrast to the lobby, the rooms are decorated in a minimalistic style.
- There is the possibility to add an extra bed.
- The rooms are spacious and the bathroom comes with a shower and bathtub.
To conclude, we had an absolute amazing stay at Sé Boutique Hotel and I am sure you will too!
Good to know
Almost all flights out of Funchal have a stop over in Lisbon. Why not combine your epic road trip in Madeira with en equally amazing city trip in Lisbon?
If you’re tempted to elongate your holiday here is some inspiration for you.
- A 3 day guide to Lisbon, including a visit to Sintra
- The best photography spots in Lisbon
- Where to stay in Lisbon